Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://thepost.emory.edu/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 1, 2010

Opening night (third in a series)

Read part 2...


Ok, so opening night literally ended 30 minutes ago, and after saying “hello” and “thank you” to my wonderful friends who came out, I rushed over to El Azteca on Ponce so I could scarf down a number six combo and write this blog.

Let me ‘splain.

So ever since I started performing I have this thing where I get so nauseated before a performance I can’t eat (sorry, I know that's a bit too much information)…so needless to say I’m STARVING!

Ok, ok, enough of that…how was the show you ask?

It was incredible!

Everything clicked once we put it all on the line for a sold-out crowd. There are definitely some long-standing pitfalls of the opening night performance. The adrenaline causes tempo to push, diction to falter, and the worst, voices to blow out. Don’t get me wrong. It’s all done with good intentions for a rockin’ show, but I’m happy to report that none of that happened tonight. Thanks to our extensive preparation, we were actually able to ride our residual confidence all the way to the last bow.

And what a great crowd! They laughed when it was appropriate, clapped when it was appropriate (or even better didn’t clap when it wasn’t, many a heartfelt moment has been ruined by the overzealous clappers out there). There was such a mutual communication of joy and love, we sent it to them, and they gave it right back to us.

And speaking of the musical theater “splash zone” that I wrote about in my last blog, who did my eyes go directly to in the second row as I danced out on stage? Former Emory College dean and well-known arts supporter Bobby Paul! The overwhelming support of the Emory community is just one of the elements that makes the whole experience so worthwhile.

Am I sad that opening night went by so quickly? Absolutely.

Am I psyched that there are three shows left, two of which I know are sold-out (tickets for Sunday’s 2 p.m. show are still available)?

Absolutely.

-- Becky Herring 08C, events coordinator, Schwartz Center for Performing Arts

No comments:

Post a Comment