Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://thepost.emory.edu/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The EAB and me

More often than not, I’m your friendly blogger recapping the latest young alumni happy hour that I’ve been to, but I figured it was time to share what I actually do here at the Emory Alumni Association (EAA) Although, I think my dream job would be just going to happy hours.

I have the privilege of working with the Emory Alumni Board (EAB), a group of 44 alumni representing the schools and units of the University. They have proven their dedication to Emory by being involved leaders in their schools, local chapters or through other Emory programs, and come to work with us at the EAA to serve as an advisory Board to our staff and to the university as a whole. Basically, we’re kind of a big deal. Yes, I did include myself in that by association. Deal with it. (Really I’m the one behind the scenes who plans the meeting and keeps things running smoothly).

We have three full day meetings a year and one meeting of just the committees, but the fall meeting is my favorite by far. It’s when I finally get to meet our new members in person and put my stalker-esque knowledge about them to work. I have a good memory and can recite out most of their class years, addresses, work places, etc. Really more than anyone should ever know, so I pretend it makes me better at my job and not creepy at all.

This past Friday, October 8, was our first meeting of the year and it was a great two days, if I do say so myself. We have six new members this year and we hosted them here at the Miller-Ward Alumni House (MWAH) for orientation on Thursday the 7th before heading over to the Emory Medal.

On Friday we kicked off the meeting with Breakfast with the Administrators, where all of the EAB met with their Dean or alumni relations staff from their school or unit. I sat with the Goizueta Business School for breakfast (I am an alum after all) with Dean Kazanjian. He told us about many current issues there and even though I work on campus and feel pretty knowledgeable about what’s happening, it was great to talk with him.

The rest of the day flew by. We had lunch with President Wagner, heard from Gary Hauk about his new book, Where Courageous Inquiry Leads, which was the Board gift for this year, and heard from EAA staff about our new strategic plan.

The day ended with a wine and cheese reception and I finally had some time to chat with EAB members, since the longest conversation I had with anyone all day was “We’re starting again. Can you please head back to your seat?”

I was exhausted afterwards, but pleased that everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I didn’t make it to Bacchanal as I was supposed to, but sometimes a girl just needs to sleep.
I look forward to seeing everyone again for our meeting in December. Until then, check out a few pictures from the day.

--Kelley Quinn 08B, coordinator, Emory Alumni Board

No comments:

Post a Comment