Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://thepost.emory.edu/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Leaders ... Scholars

Earlier this year, Lori Northcraft 09A 10PH (left) received an email notifying her that she'd been nominated for the Emory Alumni Board (EAB) Leadership Scholarship, and award so new she hadn't heard of it ... and hadn't applied. Until she got the email.

"As I started completing the application and thinking back to what I had been involved in at Emory," Northcraft said. "I started realizing that, you know, maybe I actually had a chance at this scholarship."

More than just a chance as it turned out.

Northcraft and Sacha Munro 11C (right) are the first recipients of the alumni-financed EAB Leadership Scholarship, and a more worthy or personable pair would be extremely difficult to find.

The EAB created the Leadership Scholarship in 2007 to recognize students whose actions, beleifs and passions have improved their community. For Northcraft (the graduate recipient) and Munro (her undergraduate counterpart) that statement couldn't be truer.

In early September, Munro and Northcraft sat down with me to discuss what the EAB Leadership Scholarhip (and Emory) means to them. Their edited conversation is below. To listen to the full podcast on iTunes U, click here. (You must have the iTunes program on your computer to access the interview.)

Eric Rangus, EAA: Tell us a little about yourselves.

Sacha Munro 11C: I am majoring in political science, and I am involved in various things around campus. One of my main commitments is the Residence Hall Association. I’m the vice president of programming. And I’m also a member of the Student Alumni Association.

Lori Northcraft 09A 10PH: I am a dual-degree physical therapy and public health student. I am a native Oregonian who chose Emory specifically for this brand-new program. One of my main accomplishments has been participating in the South Georgia Farm Worker Health Project, where physical therapy students and faculty members go to South Georgia and team up with physician’s assistants and physician assistant students to provide pro bono medical care to migrant farm workers and their families.

Read more of the abridged interview in the October 2009 issue of EmoryWire.

The full interview (which is about 10 minutes) is here.

--Eric Rangus, director of communications, EAA

No comments:

Post a Comment