Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://thepost.emory.edu/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, October 19, 2009

This semi-charmed kind of life


Lindsey Bomnin is within 10 ft of Third Eye Blind's trailer right now.
Sat at 7:23am via Mobile Web · Comment ·

My Facebook status described why I was up so early on a Saturday morning. Not just any Saturday. October 17, the day of Fall Band Party, featuring Third Eye Blind.

As member of the Fall Band Party committee of the Student Programming Council, I needed to help prepare Emory for the talented musicians.

Of course, I was not the least bit bothered by the early wake up call. In fact, I welcomed it. I had been waiting for this day for more than two months.

We hung up signs on the gate surrounding McDonough Field, unloaded food and drinks, and made sure the crew had everything they needed to expedite the set up process.

At about 10:30 a.m., I went back to my dorm and took a hefty nap. I returned to McDonough at 6 p.m. with the rest of SPC and made the final preparations before door opening at 7:30 p.m.

I manned the gate until 8:30 p.m., fulfilling my shift, as I watched students, faculty and alumni file in. The crowd was getting bigger and I was getting anxious. I needed to be front and center.

When my friends arrived, I dragged them to the front of the crowd, pushing our way through until we were just about front and center.

Just past 9 p.m., the lights went out and the band finally came on, opening with "Can You Take Me." They played new favorites like "Summertown" and "Waterlanding," as well as classics like "Semi-Charmed Life" and "Jumper."

The crowd tousled me around, as I jumped, screamed, and sang every last word of the song, eventually pushing my way closer to the center and losing my friends along the way.

I didn't care. I basked in the stardom of my favorite band until they walked offstage chanting the reprise of "Bonfire."

Now came the fun part.

One of the perks of being on SPC is the opportunity to meet the bands that come to Emory, and this was my golden ticket.

After we cleared the field, SPC gathered in one of the multipurpose rooms of Few Hall. I felt like I was at the top of a rollercoaster just before the drop.

When lead singer Stephan Jenkins and drummer Brad Hargreaves walked through the door, I almost couldn't contain myself. Since we were only allotted one picture, I shoved my way by Jenkins' side and told him that I was front and center throughout the concert and that we made eye contact (which, I promise, did occur).

He replied, "You worked the concert and got to enjoy it? How did it sound up there?"

I think I stuttered as I said, "amazing."

I got autographs from both artists and for the remainder of our meet and greet, I stood there with a gaping smile, my palms sweaty as I clutched my signed VIP pass. Fellow SPC members told me my face was flushed and to be honest, I felt a bit faint. I was starstruck, but I lived to tell the tale.

Lindsey Bomnin is in shock and awe after meeting Third Eye Blind.
Yesterday at 5:08pm · Comment ·

-- Lindsey Bomnin 12C, communications assistant, EAA

No comments:

Post a Comment