Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://thepost.emory.edu/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 30, 2009

A medal-winning night, part 1

This is how I'll be spending my Friday night ...

That's OK. My position on the staff of the Emory Alumni Association (EAA) frequently grants me access to some spectacular events I'd miss otherwise.

Tonight's Emory Medal ceremony honors Henry Bowden Jr. 74L and Arthur Keys Jr. 92T. You can read more about the recipients in Emory Report. The medal is the highest University honor given exclusively to alumni, and the EAA takes it very seriously.

Medalists are literally the best we have to offer, and they have earned a celebration worthy of their great contributions to our community.

We've been planning the ceremony for months ... especially my co-workers Leslie Wingate 82C and Missy Rodil, and EAA volunteer Tom Brodnax 65Ox 68C (none of whom know I'm mentioning them here, so please don't say anything) ... and there's always a certain relief that washes over you once the ceremony evening arrives. Of course, that certain relief is preceded by many, many instances of stress that when channeled properly can help a person bend steel with their bare hands.

The ceremony begins tonight at 6:30 p.m. in Cox Hall, and it's black-tie optional. I like the optional part. I mean ... I'm happy when my shirt and tie match (not always an easy thing when I'm picking out clothes in a poorly lit condo). When you're wearing a tux, I guess it's not difficult to match, but prom was such a long time ago.

Anyway, I'm just finishing up here in the office and will head over to campus in just a little bit to set up.

I'll be back either after the event tonight or on Saturday morning to let you know how things went.

-- Eric Rangus, director of communications, EAA

No comments:

Post a Comment