Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://thepost.emory.edu/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Happy birthday, Miller-Ward!


I don't remember much about my 10th birthday. I'm sure I had a party, though. Most likely had a great cake. Got some Star Wars figures. A couple of games. I was probably happy that no girls showed up.

Or maybe I was mad about that.

Anyway ... the turn of a decade is always a big deal. Adding a digit in the tenths column is an accomplishment. And that's why the 10th anniversary celebration of the Miller-Ward Alumni House (MWAH) on Thursday night felt extra festive.

I work at MWAH, so I don't always notice the day-to-day differences, but tonight the house just looked extra shiny. And the good feeling of the more than 200 attendees added to the glow.

Take Marjorie Nunn 61C. She serves on the MWAH advisory board, and you couldn't wipe the smile off her face with a power eraser. "I was gone from Emory for 40 years," she said, "and then we got the two things we always wanted--a performing arts center, and this house."

Lord James W. Dooley even graced us with his presence, and through the mouthpiece of his entourage, he was as articulate as ever.

"The beauty of this building is unrivaled on our campus," he said. "The presence of so many trees reminds me of the earliest days of Emory, both here and at Oxford, when the wooded ravines and flowing creeks still dominated my beloved landscape," he continued.

"If ever my bones grow weary of prowling the same old haunt, all I must do is come here to remember why Emory will forever be my home," he said.

There were Peach Bellinis (a concoction combining champagne with peach nectar), tall glasses of shrimp and grits, and espresso-rubbed beef tenderloin (among the many tasty treats), and self-guided tours of the immaculately styled rooms.

It was a great way to kick off Emory Homecoming Weekend. I really do love working here.

See the photos on the EAA's Facebook fan page.

-- Eric Rangus, director of communications, EAA

No comments:

Post a Comment