Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://thepost.emory.edu/
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 26, 2011

A bittersweet ending to a a "Super Sweet" week

What's the best way to end an unmatched Homecoming Week besides the yearly reunions, brunches, and receptions?

A parade and a concert, of course!
The annual Homecoming Parade went off without a hitch midday Saturday, each float sporting its own interpretation of the 175th birthday Homecoming theme.

The float pictured to the right, belonging to the sorority Gamma Phi Beta, was the overall first place winner (and rightly so, check out that giant cupcake!).

With more than 40 floats, there was plenty of competition, but the second- and third-place float winners were the Orientation Leaders and Volunteer Emory.


Moving along with the day, alumni and their families, students, faculty, and staff made their way to McDonough Field for the Five for Fighting concert.

People claimed their spots on the field with blankets and bags and chowed down on an assortment of hand-held foods. I'm talking about hot dogs, popcorn, cotton candy, and cheese pretzels.

I made my way around the crowd making sure the EAA didn't need anything from the Student Programming Council (SPC), and I chatted with the handful of alumni I knew that came back for the weekend.

And then it hit me.

This was my last Homecoming Week as a student. The next time I'd be back here for this tradition would be as a proud alumni.

From planning the parade my sophomore year to co-chairing the entire week last year to overseeing Homecoming as president this year, a bittersweet feeling that came over me as I watched John Ondrasik (aka Five for Fighting) play "100 Years to Live."

Yes, I know. That was cheesier than the pretzels served that day, but it's also true.

I welcome moments like this one throughout the year.

I have no doubt there will be many.

--Lindsey Bomnin 12C, EAA communications intern

No comments:

Post a Comment