Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://thepost.emory.edu/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 9, 2010

A jazzy and jewel-tastic evening at the Carlos

On Thursday, July 8 the Emory Alumni Association (EAA) and the Michael C. Carlos Museum hosted a swanky, fun event for the Atlanta Young Alumni and Alumnae & Women of Emory (AWE) to explore a sparkling jewelry exhibit and enjoy wine, light fare, and jazz music from the Gary Motley Trio while mingling with friends.

The atmosphere was exceptionally great. In the area outside the ballroom and the Carlos’ third-floor ballroom itself had gorgeous stone column-like replications hanging on the walls. I personally felt like I was in the midst of the ancient Greek or Roman times (despite the painted walls and guests wearing clothes that looked like they came straight out of a SAKS Fifth Avenue catalog instead of togas).

After a glass or two of wine, delicious, gourmet meatballs and veggies from a colorful platter, the guests were free to wander through more than 150 pieces of Indian jewelry from the Susan L. Beningson Collection. This collection celebrates the amazing technical craftsmanship of the jewelry and the inspiration of nature on the designs, as well as the importance of jewelry in Indian people’s lives. The guests were eager to learn more about this, so bright-faced, informative docents were scattered throughout the exhibition to share information about the jewelry and provide answers to questions.

As I admired the dazzling earrings, necklaces, and objects fit for a deity, I noticed the audience around me was thoroughly enjoying the exhibit as well. They were ooh-ing and ahh-ing while saying things like “I have a dress that would match perfectly with this necklace!” and “I am so glad you brought me to this event.” Yes, since this was a jewelry exhibit, the majority of the guests were women; however, I noticed the men there were enjoying themselves to the fullest.

Jazz and Jewelry was the first event I staffed as an intern. I have experience working events with an internship I had in college, but this event was better than any I’ve ever worked! The registration process went smoothly and there were absolutely no glitches with the event itself. It was wonderful to meet so many Emory alumni and others who work at the University, such as Aimee Nix, the museum’s associate director of development. I also befriended the volunteers who helped work the registration table—now I can say I have friends who went to Emory! (Since I am a graduate of Samford University). I also got to explore an amazing jewelry exhibition thanks to the EAA!

Thank you, Carlos Museum for partnering with us to host this wonderful event! The guests thoroughly enjoyed themselves and it was a great way to explore the Indian jewelry exhibition before it comes to a close.

Photos to come!

--Farah Shackelford, communications intern, EAA

No comments:

Post a Comment