Our blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://thepost.emory.edu/
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, February 27, 2009

Celebrating Emory

So I'm sitting in a bar called the House of Brews ...

Now that I've got your attention .... Celebration Emory: New York has been over for about an hour, and there was quite a lot of celebrating to spread around. More than 350 guests spent their evening with President Jim Wagner, Emory Alumni Board President Crystal Edmonson 95C, and the Emory University Symphony Orchestra, whose performance literally had the floor vibrating at the New York Marriott Marquis.

We'll post photos of the event on EAAvesdropping as soon as we can.

The food was pretty good, too. Our guests stayed more than half an hour past our advertised closing time. We had to turn on the lights to get people to leave, like we were a dance club or something. Not that that's a bad thing.

It was the desserts that kept people around. Of course. The hotel created treats that honestly I didn't even know were possible. Like chocolate spoons. They're pretty self-explanatory. It was a regular teaspoon, overflowing with chocolate. It was one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted. I have no problem making a bold statement like that, either. I tested it. I had three of them.

I always enjoy working events like Celebration Emory. As the EAA's communications director, my primary role is in assisting with messaging (what the speakers say) and promotion (how we encourage alumni to attend). At the event itself, I'm a logistics guy. I do the grunt work so the events manager Leslie Wingate 82C, senior director for alumni programs, can take care of other pressing needs. I also look for ways to improve future events. Are there certain topics that make more of an impact? How can we better deliver those to alumni? That sort of thing.

And just being around so many alumni excited about what Emory is doing is exciting. It makes me want to do my job better.

So, what am I doing in a bar? Chocolate spoons, as tasty as they were, aren't very filling. And I didn't want to eat in the hotel. And how can you pass up a place called the House of Brews, which is about a block and a half from Times Square (where the hotel is) on the outskirts of Hell's Kitchen. No, I'm not having beer for dinner. I'm having pretzels for dinner. Seven mini ones and they are very good. The beer is just cleansing the palette.

Have a good weekend, everyone. I'll write you on Saturday from Houston, where I'm helping out with Emory's Alumni Interviewing pilot program.

Eric Rangus, director of communications

No comments:

Post a Comment